Desi Parents are a whole mood

 

Do you ever do something so weird that you shock yourself? My sister and I shared a room growing up and almost every day we would do something so weird and ask each other "who will marry us?"  


Luckily, she found someone she could show 90% of her weird side to but back then, two single gals would sit there questioning their existence.  

But then, we'd look at our parents - The source of our insanity and think, they managed to get hitched so we have hope. 


Now, my parents are eccentric to say the least but when the youngest and tiniest kid is moving half way across the world they tend to get a little  crazy. 


Normal parents send their kids and tell them to work very hard, study harder, become a CEO in 2 years, be ambitious and so on, my mother asks me to do the following: 

1) meet good men and for a change date someone 

2) date 5 people at the same time and EXPLORE 

3) have sex and be safe 

4) don't sit in your room reading or watching something. Leave the room and go out and party for a change. 

5) wear clothes that show off your assets. You'll look great! 


Yes, my mom is extremely cool. She is also delusional enough to think I will have five guys wanting to date me. But seriously, sometimes I feel like she is a 21 year old trapped in  a 51 year Olds body and I am 51 trapped in a 21 year Olds body. 


My dad on the other hand is more focused on me working my ass off and making my own money and establishing my own identity. He is an 'Almost Feminist'. 

He keeps telling me, "Jaanu, you're too expensive for me." That's a very scandalous statement but yes, I have expensive taste and no money.

My dad keeps swallowing his tears and sits and cries in a corner over the fact that I've to leave and I know this will sound very mean, but i LOVE that he's crying for me and so is my mom. I mean, if my parents and best friends don't cry for me who will? It's all the validation I need. Moreover, I made him cry- TWICE! 🤩 


Now indian parents make a list of things to buy and take with you when you're going abroad. The only thing is, they believe civilisation doesn't exist anywhere else other than India. So far, I haven't packed a single clothing item instead I've packed : 

1) pressure cooker 

2) bedsheets 

3) kitchen knives 

4) roti ka tava 

5) masalas

6) medicines 

7) nail cutter 

8) Talcum powder 

I still have more packing to do so I'll tell you what comes next. 

The mother has decided to come and sleep next to me in my room till I leave. It's sweet but she takes up the entire bed and I've been given a small corner. 


The father has decided to work from home but isn't leaving my side at all. I have two people in their fifties following me around and I LOVE IT!! They've also made so much of my favorite food I feel like that'll sustain me for five years.


Honestly, to me it's all fun and games, but I don't fully understand what they're going through. Every person who has met me these past few days keeps saying "it'll be very difficult for your parents once you leave." I guess it is a statement I will fully understand once my offsprings are ready to fly but as kids who are just starting their lives independently we tend to forget, that our parents dedicated two decades or more of their lives to us. Everything they've done has revolved around us, it must be difficult to not be as needed anymore or they simply must be used to us and our noise. 


Let's see what this change will do with our lives but I do know for a fact that we're creatures of habit. Any major change might be difficult for a month tops but we adapt. That's just life. 


On a side note- I hope some major miracles come into your lives 💕

Comments

Popular Posts